Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Halloween: Is the real trick on the Christians?


So lately I've been thinking a lot about Halloween... Ya know, the big and evil day that a lot of Christians (particularly the older generation) seem to belittle so much. I began to research and think more about it... From the origins of Halloween to the stance that the Church has on Halloween, and I began to wonder why.

I know the whole "demonic activity and a night for Wiccans to do all the stuff that Wiccans do" statements, but I began to wonder, what about the rest of the people? I mean, most conservative belivers (and the church) do not recognize Halloween or embrace it because of what it represents, but yet in a way, we sort of do. So is the trick really on us?

I mean, we talk down about Halloween and warn people against it, but yet we throw a big celebration where we tell people to come, dress up, and get candy. Isn't that really what Halloween, for the overwhelmingly majority of people, really all about? Dressing up in costumes, getting candy, and having fun?

I feel it is a little hypocritical of believers (and the church) to speak so harshly about Halloween, and yet have a Halloween celebration (only we won't call it a Halloween celebration, will we?). It's kind of like the phrase, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and acts like a duck, it's a duck. So what is the proper response for the believer? To not have anything, and stay locked up in our home with our lights off so nobody comes to our door? Or do we have an intense prayer night? Or do we maybe admit that we've made a bigger deal of Halloween all these years?

I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this, as I've been mulling over this for weeks now.